Baitcon 2005

Hobbit's Baitcon pix. Shot on a Sony DSC-V1 5-mp camera, resized and postprocessed a little. Each picture is a link to its larger version.

The redesigned Prius really does hold a lot of stuff.

Pulled in next to another one at the rest stop, and it was too cute to not get a picture of. Interesting license plate. Handed its owner a flyer with a pointer to my URL link-farm, of course.
Which is here if you're curious.

There was a spiderweb entertainingly built across the shed doorway.

Shortly after our arrival, the port-a-john truck delivered. These six and two bonus ones we didn't even order. Good thing, too.
Because really, Baitcon is all about the I/O.

We ran around assessing and documenting damage. The sauna light shroud was cracked; I had to extract it very carefully to replace the bulb and didn't bother re-installing it.

A brief watch for "flight lines" quickly turned up the first hornet nest. They were going in and out of a fairly subtle hole in the back of the shed, indicated by the arrow. Fortunately, nobody was likely to go near that particular place. Two more flight-lines were later observed in and out of the roofline of the house itself, and we determined that the nests were most likely deep inside the walls and that spraying the external holes wasn't likely to have much effect, even at night. A job for professionals, most likely.

The deck, which 4 years ago we were told had to remain absolutely pristine, is now stained by ash-containing leakage from the grill. Not to mention that the whole structure is warped and falling apart anyways.

There was broken glass all over one end of the porch roof; evidently the storm window above had been trashed.

Unpack continued, and much work occured.

The back-deck tarp over the dishwashing area got a new type of fourth fly-point this time, saving having to wrangle a rope from the higher roof where the hornet nests were.

JB appears to like the redesigned hose rig. Hope it likes him back just as much..

Liz went up and braved [well, more like evaded being noticed by] the stinging insects to install a tie-point for the front.

Phil supplied the same old driveway tie-point, but from his new vehicle.

People began arriving, and food-prep started.

The directions web-page said the oval Mink Hollow Lodge sign had fallen down. We found the parts under the porch. The sign clearly needed to go back up, so I decided to go out and make a silly rakish Art out of it.

Night fell, and there was way too much poi-spinning.

And mixing continued...

and there was much wearing of glowey-things. This is Phil's EL-wire.

A green laser pointer over ice. Shaken, not stimulated?

People hanging outside to chat...

and inside to play with music toys...

amidst a multitude of silly objects. [Actually I think this usually rides around in Phil's car...]

Merriment continued reasonably late, and then it was time for sleep.

Phil's dome in Saturday morning's light. Practical PVC art.

View up to the house as I stumbled toward the coffee...

Someone got confused and went in the wrong door to try and stash bags of garbage; clearly more signage was needed because we really didn't want people mucking around in certain places. [sheez, do I really have to watermark this one...]

And of course, mixing eventually started up again. Phil and seph were refilling the smaller dewar, and I warned them that I'd be climbing up on the truck to tighten up some tarp ropes.

Once I was up there, why not shoot a sweep of more pictures, partially to capture the amazing folding-camp-chair farm.

Our host relaxing with a bit of drum-jam

Keith will never wash that mp3 player again!

Lunch! And some of the extra wiring needed to keep it warm.

The afternoon activities contined, including juggling...

or just hanging out enjoying the day.

These little bee-flies were all over the place. They hover really entertainingly, and really like the thistles gracing the edges of the lawn. These were NOT the yellow jackets nesting in the rotten wood in the roof-peak; those clearly had a different agenda and amazingly enough, never clued in about all the sweet foods twenty feet below them.

At some point I noticed my ladder was missing, and later spotted it against a tree down-slope a ways. Something odd was going on...

But first, time for a jaunt down to the stream! Unfortunately, fairly low water this year -- possibly just later in the season.

The hot shower had been set up the preceding evening and was getting plenty of use.

The main bulk of the dam, including that huge triangular rock it took about 5 of us at once to move, has been firmly in place for 3 years or more by now. It's all leaning a bit more downstream every year, as stuff slowly gets washed out from under it, but still holding. It's nice how we managed to leave a semi-permanent mark that survives spring floods on the place. But the pool behind it has filled in a bit, so this year people started damming up another area just below where a deeper pool had formed.

Downstream, with Naked Man.

Arty stuff. I think I put up the first rock-stack, but several others appeared over the course of the weekend. Shayde captured a lot of it.

The walk back up passed through many violently-green fields of these soft ferns, and amazingly enough, still no detectable poison ivy or the like. Really nice woods in general.

Upon returning up to the yard, the purpose of the ladder was revealed: to get a start up that big tree to rig a silk for people to play on.

Someone below appears rather fascinated with Rob's butt...

Phil has a go at some more complex moves

And several newbies [including me] were taught a couple of things.

It's not easy for everyone to reach the stream. Undaunted, a bunch of people took Bonnie off-roading in her wheelchair down the trail. But one of the front wheels fell apart during the course of this, causing many geeks to gather round for the postmortem after they returned.

The reason: the bolt through the caster, spacers, and bearing is too *short* to actually seat in the nylock part of the nut correctly. It needs to be about 1/4" longer, and then would have a better chance of not backing out under a modest level of abuse.

DGlenn takes up most of a large van to get to an event nowadays. Not only to haul a full-size bass and a bunch of other instruments...

but also a whole *farm* of cameras. These are all his. And it doesn't even include the old wooden plate camera.

Joelll appeared very briefly, but had to zip off back to a reunion.

Andy painted many people. Already documented at length elsewhere.

I found a cool spider, and played with it for a while -- meanwhile trying to wrangle the camera with my other hand.

The band started setting up their stuff...

and much jamming happened way before they were even officially on.

Motion-capture experiment. Really.

This is just TOO scary.

The sun headed over the yardarm, or the yard, or whatever ... painting the faraway hills a nice subtle orange that the camera probably didn't capture quite right.

Intermission for Platypus Rex was the first ice cream feed, preceded by our host explaining how it was all going to work...

after which Crash managed deployment and flavor announcement.

...3 ...2 ...1 ...GO! and everyone fell upon the cold stuff in a massive feeding frenzy.

One flavor that hadn't entered the rotation yet was BRICK, and Val decided that we should make a non-sugared version for Mom. So we found some correctly overripe bananas, cooked up these raisins, and mixed up a batch with Splenda instead of sugar which I thought would be completely vile but amazingly enough actually worked well enough. Complete guesswork. Mom loved it.

Part of a sleepy "tent city" on Sunday morning

The second part of breakfast was, well duh, more ice cream.

The sangria sorbet didn't really freeze, but remained as perfectly serviceable sangria.

It began to cloud up as the day went on, and the wind picked up and started bellying the tarps, as a few rumbles of that classic Catskills thunder rolled around for a while.

Finally, it *did* begin to rain. Blech.

The kitchen sink

Outside the kitchen, a soggy sandwich. See previous picture.

The rain let up after a while, and a cool mist began to settle in.

The weather wasn't quite enough to prevent reasonable packing, though...

and provided more artsy opportunities here and there. This is sized 1024x768, suitable for wallpaper on generic monitors.

Mom reviews the flavor board as cleanup proceeds.

As the Monday morning clouds broke, there were some really amazing sky scenes. These are also sized 1024x768.

An' that's it.